Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Problems with Facebook redesign? Me too


UPDATE: As of 8:30 a.m., it looks like this problem has been corrected. I'm not 100 percent sure yet, but it looks like my live feed is updated much more regularly than it did last night. Anyone else still having problems?

When Facebook rolled out its new redesign, I was actually pretty happy about it. It seemed like the changes would actually optimize the user's experience. It seemed like it would take less clicks to navigate to where you wanted to go. It seemed like this redesign might not draw as much ire as previous ones.

It took only a few days for me to realize that the redesign was not without its bugs. My biggest beef right now is the news live feed. I don't know about any of you, but my news live feed has never been less useful. The updates I get are completely sporadic. If I log in to Facebook, I'll get one set of updates that seem to have been sent hours apart. If I refresh my feed, I'll get the same set of updates with some several-day-old updates mixed in there. Even more frustrating, if I create a status update or post a link, it doesn't even come through my own news live feed.

I understand that there are always unforeseen issues that pop up when a redesign is implemented, but Facebook's usability and functionality has always been a hallmark of the site. Yet, in the face of research I've done to see if Facebook has somehow addressed this issue or if it's even aware of it, I have found nothing about news feed problems due to the redesign.

Are you experiencing the same problems? Have you been able to find anything about what the problem is or how to fix it? And what do you think about the Facebook redesign in general? Like? Dislike?

As always, you can follow me on Twitter @JayAdams70

5 comments:

  1. It was the same for me. I like the design, but the news feed is a mess. I hope they work things out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. News feed not showing any updates by friends, nor my own status updates. I have had to go through friend's profiles to find out what they're up to. I'm done with FB until they fix their issues!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's same for almost everyone right now. Hopefully they will be addressing this soon enough instead of just expecting users to get accustomed to the mess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do realize that the "news feed" and the "live feed" are different things right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daniel, I'm completely aware. Perhaps I should have been more specific with my terminology. The problem lies with both, although I find the live feed to be much more problematic. I will amend my post to correct the terminology.

    ReplyDelete