Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Cowbell girl becomes the social media sensation of the decade

UPDATE 1:40 a.m.: I have learned that Boise State's cowbell girl is, in fact, a blind student. While I mean absolutely no disrespect, I think the main point I was trying to make still stands about the power of social media.

While watching the Fiesta Bowl this evening, I stuck around in front of the TV during halftime long enough to catch a bit of the Boise State band playing. I'm glad I did. Like many of you, here's what I saw:



Immediately, I went to Twitter to see if anyone else out there had noticed the largely unenthusiastic cowbell girl from Boise State. Sure enough, tweets were pouring in about her. She probably has no idea how many people are talking about her performance right now, but it just goes to show how quickly average people can become stars in this social media age. One blogger has already called her this decade's most enduring image. So true. So, so true.

UPDATE 12:01 a.m. ET: Cowbell girl already has her own Facebook fan page. Forgot to mention, too, that video of cowbell girl in action was on YouTube within five minutes of it airing. Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment