Thursday, January 7, 2010

Does Facebook have you seeing colors?


It was a trend that started today, and you've likely seen it on Facebook. Got a lot of friends leaving statuses like, "Blue," "Black," or "Leopard print?" These statuses have left a lot of people scratching their heads and asking why so many statuses have been largely ambiguous. Here's the answer: breast cancer awareness.

The status updates refer to the color of the bra the poster has been wearing today I've even seen some guys get into the act. The origin of the trend is still unknown. It's just another one of those cases where a good idea goes viral very quickly. The purpose behind the trend is for women to show solidarity and unity for the benefit of a good cause. While I've learned an awful lot more about the women I'm friends with on Facebook today, I think it's a great social media strategy. It'd be better if everyone provided a link to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure site to make things a little more clear about what exactly is going on, but this trend is successful in that it has caught the attention of a lot of people.

As someone who had a family member with breast cancer, I think any tactic to raise awareness is a great thing. Kudos to whoever started it. I'll be sure to update if I can find the origin of the trend. If anyone knows, please comment below with the info.

No comments:

Post a Comment